Thursday, April 30, 2015

Cauliflower Penne Pasta

I've been trying to create meals that are so packed with flavor that I don't realize there isn't any meat in the dish.  A few nights ago we picked up these gigantic ribeye steaks, and I made a Hot & Sweet Butternut Squash & Kale Saute to go with them.  I ended up craving the saute and didn't really feel like eating the meat.  Now don't get me wrong...THESE TEETH EAT MEAT!  However the next morning when I stepped on the scale, I had lost a few pounds.  Maybe there is something to this vegetarian thing.

There, I said it.  Vegetarian.  Veg-e-ta-ri-an... it's a tough word to even think about when you grew up eating meat with every meal.   I just bought a wedding dress for our September nuptials, and I want to look amazing in it.  If that means ditching a little meat here and there, I'm up to the challenge.

My friend Amanda shared this recipe with me.  It's economical AND vegetarian.  Cauliflower Penne Pasta...

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR MORE RECIPES==> DeAnna Lee



Parmesan Cauliflower Penne Pasta

1 whole head of cauliflower
2 tbsp. olive oil 

1/2 onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. butter
1 cup chicken/ or vegetable stock
1/4 cup pasta water
1 lb. wheat penne pasta
1/2 tbsp. crushed red pepper (I use a full tablespoon for MORE HEAT)!
2 cups shredded parmesan cheese 


1. Cut cauliflower in half.  Remove the stems from the cauliflower AND DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!  Cut the stems up bite size!  They are gonna make the most yummy crunchy veggie surprise for this dish. Then cut up the rest of the cauliflower and set it aside.
 

2. Saute onion and stems in olive oil for 5 minutes.  Add cauliflower tops, minced garlic, red pepper, salt and pepper and let saute 2 - 3 minutes.  Add one cup chicken/ or vegetable stock.  Cover and let steam 10 - 15 minutes or until the cauliflower tops have softened where you can begin to mash them with a wooden spoon.  Add butter, pasta water and stir well.  Add parmesan cheese and remove from heat. Stir well. 

3. Prepare penne pasta according to package directions.

4. Spoon cauliflower mixture on top of the wheat penne pasta for a yummy vegetarian meal!

I added a little chopped tomato and chives on top for color!  

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR MORE RECIPES==> DeAnna Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!