Sunday, April 19, 2015

Open Faced Turkey Sloppy Joes with Lemon Pico de Gallo

It doesn't take much for me to start craving a sloppy joe.  It brings back the most wonderful childhood memory of my mother opening a can of sloppy joe mix and pouring it over ground beef.  If we didn't have buns, we'd make them opened faced on white bread. For some reason we ALWAYS had white bread.  

These days I enjoy making my own sloppy joes and try to find a healthier way to enjoy them.  Plus I've learned how to balance the sweetness with some acidity, so you're not biting into sugary ketchup soaked meat.  Not that there's anything wrong with this mom!  Kids love ketchup AND sugar! 

I kept the open faced idea from mom, and I added my twist to it. 

Follow me on Facebook for more recipes=> DeAnna Lee



Open Faced Turkey Sloppy Joes with Lemon Pico de Gallo

Sloppy Joes:

1 lb. ground turkey 
1 package of wheat buns 
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tomato sauce (or V8 for more flavor) 
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire 
1/2 fresh lemon <----- Here's the acid that makes it yummy!  
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Lemon Pico de Gallo:

1 cup grape tomatoes
1/2 onion
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 fresh lemon
pinch salt and pepper
1 tsp. olive oil 

1.  Brown ground turkey in a little olive oil over medium-high heat. When meat is about 75% of the way browned add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. 

2.  Add the remaining ingredients.  I taste as I go and tweak if I need more acid.  I don't like it tasting like sugar.  So if I need more lemon or vinegar, I add it.  

3. Chop all ingredients for the pico de gallo and mix together in a bowl.  Sometimes I do this step first and refrigerate to let the flavors come together before serving. 

4.  Serve the sloppy joe on an open faced bun.  Spoon the pico de gallo on top!  Success!

Follow me on Facebook for more recipes=> DeAnna Lee








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!