Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Something You May Not Know About Me...

You may not know this about me, but before I started working full time in country radio I trained as a professional country & western dance instructor in Houston, Texas.  I worked for Larry and Laurie Sepulvado at Step-N-Style Dance Studio for four years, and I competed in the UCWDC (United Country Western Dance Council) competitions with my dance partner.  Larry and Laurie were Masters in the UCWDC and taught me everything I know about two step, polka, waltz, East and West coast swing, cha cha, and jitterbug.   I continued teaching partner-style dance for 15 years after moving back to Arkansas where I started my country radio career.  

As my radio career became more demanding of my time, I made the difficult decision to discontinue teaching partner-style dance.  I was working for WZZK in Birmingham, Alabama and had to break the news to a number of students many of whom were taking private lessons from me.  


That's how I got more into line dancing, because it was easier to teach students and required much less of a commitment on anyone's part.  If you decide you want to learn how to dance two step, there is a lot involved.  It's not a one lesson and done type of thing.  If you want to feel confident dancing socially with your partner, one must invest at least an hour a week for six months to feel comfortable.  


I miss that type of dancing, and I do not see anyone here in the Seattle-Tacoma metro dancing this way.  Oh I see a few people who do a little two step, but they are not using the "whip pattern" to amalgamate their way seamlessly between patterns.  The "Whip" pattern is so much fun and once you learn it, the sky is the limit with the things you can do in two step and polka.  It's the glue that holds the dance together.  


The reason I'm talking about this again is because a couple has approached me to teach them.  I've got a little more free time lately, so I'm thinking why not?  Right?  


Stay tuned, because I am exploring different options in my life right now.  God has blessed me with many different types of skills, and I intend to use them.  


One thing I will continue to do is choreograph line dances! It's just so much fun to be inspired by hot country artists like David Nail.  My latest dance is called "Mood Ring" and it is danced to "Whatever She's Got".  Wanna learn it?  Push back your chair and try it with me!  It's super easy and fun! 










1 comment:

  1. So cool to know all of this! I had no idea you also taught couples. What is the "whip pattern" when dancing the two step? Are you able to post a video of what it looks like? Thanks DeeLee!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!