Saturday, January 11, 2014

Cauliflower Crust Pizza - South Beach Day Four

You can eat pizza on South Beach Phase 1!  Let me repeat... YOU CAN EAT PIZZA ON SOUTH BEACH PHASE 1!  

My fiance's face lit up when I told him I was making him fresh pizza!  It is one of our favorite food groups!  Pizza makes just about anything better!  

After eating this South Beach Phase 1 friendly and gluten free pizza, my fiance remarked that if he didn't know this wasn't real pizza dough he would've been fooled!  That is a ringing endorsement from someone who spent his college years working at a pizza shop!  

Just make sure you give yourself a little extra time. Making the dough takes patience and a good clean up crew!  




Cauliflower Crust Pizza

1 head cauliflower 
1 egg
1/2 cup goat cheese 
1 tbsp. oregano 
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Pizza Toppings (Use what YOU love) 

1 cup pizza sauce or more to cover your dough 
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
12 slices of pepperoni


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Fill a large pot half full of water and bring to a boil.  Remove the core and stems from the cauliflower.  Only use the florets. Working in batches grind cauliflower in food processor into what looks like rice.  

Then boil cauliflower in salted water for 4 minutes.  Strain into a colander.  

Make sure to do this following step to ensure CRISPY CRUST...  

Put the cauliflower in a dish towel and ring out the excess moisture.  It will look like THIS when you're done! 



In a large bowl mix cauliflower, egg, cheese, and spices.   Then on a parchment lined sheet pan form your dough building height around the edges to give it a "crust" type look. 



Bake crust 40-45 minutes or until crust turns a beautiful brown color.  My crust here needed to bake longer.  You want it to be much more brown.




Once it's browned remove and add your favorite toppings. Start with the pizza sauce.  Then add a small amount of cheese.  

DO NOT ADD TOO MANY TOPPINGS. 

This is not regular crust and will not hold up to the weight of too many toppings.  After adding the pepperoni and bell peppers add a small layer of cheese. 




Place under broiler for up to 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly! 



It's Pizza Time!!!  Nom nom nom-a-licious-ness! 



You can make double the amount for the crust and freeze it for next time!  

It's a delicious alternative to a devilish temptress!  Make this pizza and see if you can fool your family!  

6 comments:

  1. I want to try this ASAP. I've seen cauliflower used as a "base" in dough before - but God Love Me I sure do love pizza. Especially when I think I can't have it! Thanks for sharing.....
    :-) Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was SO delicious! I'm on week 3 of South Beach Diet and although I'm allowed to move on to Phase 2 I'm going to keep going on Phase 1 for 2 more weeks. I've been craving pizza so bad and this is just what I needed to keep me going! Thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made mine with home made basil pesto sauce, mazzerella cheese, turkey, mushrooms, & artichokes with turkey bacon crumbled ontop! So Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! Yes, I'm finding this in 2020, six years after you posted, but I'm giving South Beach a shot and I am determined to find recipes that fulfil my cravings but are still healthy and low-carb. I've been craving pizza for my Friday nights and I just stumbled across this blog, I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as you'd love to be eating healthily 100% of the time, there will be occasions in life where you will go out to eat with others - or simply have no healthy food available. During these times it's important you, as a Type 2 diabetic, learn how to make the best of any situation. how much sugar is in a little caesars pizza

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!