Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Upcyled Wood Siding into Headboard for Queen Size Bed

Ever since my fiance built our queen size bed out of two Ikea bookshelves and one trip to the hardware store, I've been thinking about a really cool upcylced headboard for it. 




I make him sounds like Superman when it comes to building things, and in my mind that's not far off.  If I give him an idea, suddenly he makes it happen.  It's so much fun!  Like POOF!  Here ya go!  This time it's a headboard out of upcycled wood siding! 


First we made a trip to The ReStore in Ballard.  There we found some really cool wood siding off an old house.  We picked out 11 pieces, and they charged us twenty cents/ foot.  We ended up paying $35.00 for all of it. What a bargin! 


One quick trip to Home Depot for various pieces of wood, one gallon of floor polyurethane, and hardware, and we (I use this term loosely when it comes to "our" projects) were ready to start the headboard.  Check out this massive saw they let you use at the store to cut your wood!  





My fiance made the backing for the headboard out of a piece of OSB.  





Then he measured and cut the wood siding from 11 pieces into 22 pieces.  





My fiance actually let me touch the nail gun!  Weeeeee! 





Then the gun was promptly taken back, and I was handed a bottle of wood glue.  Why can't I do the cool stuff?!!!




Apparently I do not have the proper training for a nail gun.  My skill set is more in line with holding the glue.  But then....


I was asked to be the Project Manger!  I got to design the placement of all of the wood siding and how high each of them would be arranged on the headboard.  




Before each board was glued then nailed into the back of the headboard, I had to decide where it would be placed.  




Since I AM the Project Manager, I told my one employee to write my name with the wood glue!  He was laughing, so I think that's why the (n n a) of DeAnna looks a little funny.   




Almost done!  








Here it is!  Our upcyled wood siding headboard! 




Now we've somehow gotta get this sucker up four flights of stairs. We've always managed, so hopefully this time will work as well. Otherwise it won't be fun to disassemble this piece!  HA! 




Once we get it up to our condo and attached to the bed, I will make sure to take a final picture.  For now I wanted to admire more of my fiance's handy work!  Thank you honey!  Once again, you have impressed me with your ability to build dang near ANYthing I can dream up!   

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Would live to know more about the ikea bookshelf bed... i need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kewel ~ great job John & De. Can't wait to see it attached. =)

    I'd have you building daily!!! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. You guys have some great ideas. Can't wait to see it all together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks connect headboard to wall

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!