Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Baked Panko Crusted Cod Sticks

I watch Top Chef Seattle, and my fiance pointed out that in many of the challenges they send the Chefs to shop at Central Market in Shoreline!  If you live close to one, GO!  It's one of the most amazing grocery store shopping experiences I've ever had...they've got EVERYTHING!  

It was Central Market's fresh caught Alaskan Cod that inspired this recipe! 


Baked Panko Crusted Cod Sticks

1 lb. firm white fish filet
2 cups panko bread crumbs
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tbsp. salt
pepper to taste
OPTIONAL - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 eggs

Preheat the oven 425 degrees.  Then, mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl.  Then, add the olive oil to the dry mixture.   And lightly mix the eggs together in separate bowl.  


Look at this gorgeous filet of cod!  It's about 1.25 lbs.  It was plenty for two people.  It cost  $9.69, which I thought was pretty economical considering we ARE eating yummy Alaskan caught fresh cod!  


Cut the filet in half across the middle.  Then cut it in half again lengthwise. Then cut those halves crosswise in a diagonal.

Here's the first cut across the middle of the filet. 


Then, take those filets and cut them lengthwise like this.


Now cut those pieces on a diagonal crosswise like this.


Now dip each fish stick into the egg, then dredge it in the panko bread crumb mixture.  Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.

Bake 12 - 15 minutes until lightly browned. 


I served them with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans!  My boyfriend liked them so much he said, "this is one for the books"!  I keep a food journal of all my favorite recipes!  Yaaaay!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Trying this tonight, looks so yummers.

    On another note: I will be devastated if we ever get orders (military) to Arkansas. I paid $3.99/lb for the same thing in ARIZONA, the desert. Eep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! The Cayenne pepper was a great touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments for DeAnna Lee here!